[governance] Re: [bestbits] Whether to participate in NETmundial Initiative - RFC

Baudouin Schombe baudouin.schombe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 04:57:51 EST 2014

Hello Jean Christophe

Compared to the questions proposed to BB, what is the deadline? In my case,
I have to consult colleagues and collect their opinions.

jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net>:

> Jeremy,
>
> I leave to Norbert co-convenor at JNC to answer your first email. On a
> personal note, I would appreciate you to elaborate about the "dumping on
> civil society colleagues" you are referring to, as I see no such thing in
> the JNC statement - and would feel most uncomfortable would it be so. I
> would say JNC brings some interesting and documented facts and thoughtful
> perspective, even though the BestBits is never either quoted or named in
> this statement. As per your email recommendation having not yet shared my
> views on this WEF/ICANN/CGIbr topic, here are some thoughts.
>
> The WEF/ICANN/CGIbr project is not in lack of clarity. If I do listen to
> non JNC members:
> - Wall Street Journal reporter: "The NetMundial wants to spread Internet
> Governance more evenly across the developing world". (Ask Drew Fitzgerald
> about the source for that understanding of what is the WIB Initiative)
> - McCarthy at The Register: "ISOC has blasted efforts from some quarters
> to create a "UN Security Council"
> - Eileen Donahoe, former US Ambassador at the Human Rights Council, now at
> HRW: "There is an urgent need for new thinking about distributed,
> multistakeholder governance"
> - Virgilio Almeida, CGIbr, National Secretary for IT policies, Brazil:
> "... A platform that is going to be oriented to solve Internet Governance
> Issues..."
> - Richard Samans, Managing Director, WEF: "Internet Governance issues are
> at the top in our industry community conversations, and this is no surprise
> as it has become one of the hottest political issues of our times... well
> beyond the technical issues our partner, ICANN, has been dealing for many
> many years."
> - Fadi Chehadé: "For the first time in Sao Paulo, the Internet community
> agreed on a set of common principles and a roadmap in order to energize our
> work together, addressing the technical, and more important now, non
> technical issues".
>
> So the WEF/ICANN/CGIbr initiative seems to be a place where every one can
> have his own impression of achieving his own dream. Cool. More seriously,
> the 750 or so corporations members of the WEF are not jumping in the Sao
> Paulo legacy for nothing - their membership fees are expensive enough to
> get a return on investment. It would be naive to think they come to the
> beauty of discussing trends and fashion in IG conversation. Of course, a
> few cynics might enjoy playing poker, even though, and I appreciate Lee's
> questioning on that, there is little doubt that nobody will ever jump out
> of that elitist club once onboard.
>
> Based on these official and public statement, I can only read JNC
> statement as an interesting analysis and agree with JNC reluctance to
> participate or endorse such following-up (hijacking might be to blunt) of
> the NetMundial meeting. Nor the WEF, ICANN, or CGIbr are owners of what was
> [...]

*SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN*

*COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFEC*

*ICANN/AFRALO Member*
*ISOC Member*
Téléphone mobile:+243998983491/+243813684512
email                  : b.schombe at gmail.com
skype                 : b.schombe
blog                    : http://akimambo.unblog.fr