[governance] People with disabilities

Ginger Paque ginger at paque.net
Fri Nov 14 19:42:16 EST 2014

Judy has done a wonderful job in IG and on the MAG, and I am sure she will
continue to help us address issues for persons with disabilities and other
topics. The MAG does have another important advocate for persons with
disabilities: Peter Major (DCAD Co-Coordinator, Special advisor, Hungarian
Mission to the UN, Geneva). I am sure that he, Judy, and the other members
of the DCAD (Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability), including
De Williams and myself will continue to keep disability and inclusion
issues high on the IGF agenda (think remote participation too). I am sure
most of you are also familiar with the work of Andrea Saks as well--who is
very active in IGF disability issues, with no need to be on the MAG to
constantly push for change.

While there is no doubt in my mind that disability issues are very
important,I  have to admit, I am not sure that more mechanisms are the
answer. (' What is needed is a mechanism to ensure that the concerns of
people with disabilities are expressed.'). I think that the DCAD and the I
*SOC* Disabilities and Special Needs *Chapter*, as well as other advocates,
do an excellent job of addressing concerns, and that we can all learn from
their very practical work--DCAD was instrumental in making transcripts a
part of IGF meetings (which is an amazing tool for all of us), and is, for
example, a strong support for remote participation, as there is great
synergy in tools, resources and concerns about inclusion.

I hope we can make sure that all voices are heard, including those of youth
and persons with disabilities.  It's amazing what we learn from each other,
and how we all benefit in the end.

Please do help me (as a new MAG member) and the MAG include your concerns
in the IGF agendas. Don't forget that each of you can bring your positions
directly to the IGF Secretariat through the contributions that are often
requested (See* www.intgovforum.org/cms/
<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/> **Taking
stock of IGF 2014 and looking forward to IGF 2015* -- Stakeholders were
invited to submit  written contributions taking stock of the Istanbul IGF
meeting and looking forward to the IGF 2015 meeting, including suggestions
on the format, schedule and themes. The submitted contributions
<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/documents/contributions/open-consultations/2014-december>
are
available and will be synthesized into a paper that will form an input into
the Open Consultations and MAG meetings of 1-3 December.)

Cheers,
Ginger