[governance] Privacy in UN

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Mon Nov 10 05:42:46 EST 2014

Thanks Wolfgang

for this info which was also expected by a large part of European citizens !

As far as I'm concerned, I'd add some remarks.

- The wording of the Draft Text would be clearer if it was completed by mentioning the the supposed authors of mass surveillance, namely a single state or a group of states, and/or corporation(s). The US NSA worldwide scandal involved both, countries and corporations.
- Significantly and unfortunately, the Draft doesn't ask the WSIS organisers (ITU, Unesco, CSTD) to consider this question in its process and activities. A revealing omission ! That allows the ITU and its consorts to continue to put us to sleep with "success stories" and big rhetorics in "high level debates".
Please, take notice that up to now, no one "stakeholder" has put this paramount isue on the WSIS agenda. Does CS will be waiting until one of the "Big fives" will do that ? :-))

- Quoting the last sentence of the Reuter's document  " we don't think that's (question : the Draft Text ?) justified" seems to bury the whole affaire before it is discussed in the UNGA !

A lot of lessons to be learnt from by NGOs, particularly those participating in the WSIS process ... as far as privacy and freedom of expression, but above all ETHICS in Information societies are in their agenda !

Best

Jean-Louis Fulsack