[governance] Call for Contributions: Combating counterfeit devices at the ITU

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Nov 5 01:19:42 EST 2014

While I know that fake / substandard electronic and other components is a
huge problem,  potentially causing loss of life - such as where it gets
used in military (and potentially also civilian) aircraft,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18155293

The fake component as a security risk also needs to draw a distinction
between those, and knockoff electronic products that may bear a cosmetic
resemblance to a more popular / more expensive one (which the IP lobby
would doubtless be interested in, but I am not at all sure whether civil
society should care to intervene on that aspect of things)

There is already a lot of industry attention to supply chain integrity that
plays into this effort, and it is one of those rare cases where there is
consensus worldwide on the need for such integrity. Nobody from any country
wants fakes to turn up in aircraft, critical infrastructure etc that they
manufacture or are responsible for.

What, additionally can civil society contribute to this? Maybe the other
part about treating employees of suppliers in LDC economies more humanely
than they are, but that's not quite germane to this topic (or maybe it is,
underpaid and exploited employees are very likely to turn to corruption, or
sabotage or both as a motive to introduce fake components into gear that
they manufacture).

I'd welcome the list's thoughts.

--srs

Anja Kovacs [05/11/14 11:33 +0530]: