[governance] PP: India wants to abolish BGP and introduce national routing and IP management

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 18:54:31 EDT 2014

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I was just referring to the fact that the RIRs are defined as
> representing a set of nation states.

I don't think that is a fact in evidence at all.

RIRs can "represent" their Members, certainly.  In international fora
such as the ITU, I think RIRs "represent" their policy communities and
their Membership.

I don't think they purport to represent anyone else, certainly not nation states

One doesn't have to live in a region to participate in the policy
making of that regions RIR.

Entities can be HQed outside the geo region that makes up a RIR and
still get resources from that RIR.  So a US CDN can get RIPE resources
or a Indian Tier 1 can get resources from the ARIN region, etc.

--
Cheers,

McTim