[bestbits] [governance] Re: [IRPCoalition] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITU Plenipot joint recommendations

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sat Nov 1 15:49:46 EDT 2014

My questions about multistakeholderism are:

1. How does one become a member of a stakeholder coalition? Is it
   purely self-defined for each individual member beyond perhaps where
   they represent a collection of groups each with membership
   requirements? If I say I am a plumber and a member of the plumber
   stakeholder group do you just take me at my word (i.e., and let me
   vote or submit position papers)?

2. Can one be a member of more than one stakeholder group? I'd think
   one almost has to be. For example, I am an ISP so let's say a
   member of the ISP stakeholder group. But also an internet user,
   domain name holder, and occasionally hold up gas stations for extra
   cash so if they ever coalesce into a stakeholder group then them
   also though granted the internet interest in that activity is low.

3. Does #2 cause any structural problems? How many "votes" do I get?

4. What is the process for coordination among stakeholder groups?

I think #4 is the big one, or maybe I'm missing something.

I mostly understand how the United Nations acts as a coordinating
organization among nation-states. They sit in a big room sometimes and
vote condemnations of whatever nation-state they're displeased with at
the moment and each don't have a lot of vested interest in.

And of course all those wonderful things like WHO and Unicef and Les
Caques Bleu and HRC etc.

What would be the analogue for multi-stakeholderism and how would it
be structured?

Without a reasonably clear vision of that last point I don't know what
I am being asked to buy into other than some vague hand-wave to set
theory.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada