[governance] RE: [bestbits] Principles (warning - long)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 13:42:43 EDT 2014

Coming in late and agreeing with my JNC colleagues I'll add only a few
points

1.       "Openness"-I've discussed "openness" and its enemies in a rather
lengthy series of blogposts and publications which I'm delighted to see
being paralleled in a range of academic discussions on these issues

http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/are-the-open-data-warriors-fighting
-for-robin-hood-or-the-sheriff-some-reflections-on-okcon-2011-and-the-emergi
ng-data-divide/

The ideal that these nerdy revolutionaries are pursuing is not, as with
previous generations-justice, freedom, democracy-rather it is "openness" as
in Open Data, Open Information, Open Government. Precisely what is meant by
"openness" is never (at least certainly not in the context of this
conference) really defined in a form that an outsider could grapple with
(and perhaps critique).  Rather it was a pervasive and animating good
intention-a grail to be pursued by warriors off on a joust with various
governmental dragons. Their armaments in this instance (and to an outsider
many of them are magical indeed) are technical skills and zeal sufficient to
slay any bureaucrat or resistant politician's rationalizations and
resistances to being "open"-i.e. not turning their information treasure
chests into universally accessible nodes in a seamless global datascape.

If I seem a bit skeptical/cynical - less than true believing - its not
because I don't believe in this goal of "openness" (who could be churlish
enough to support things that are closed-closed systems, closed doors,
closed minds-you get the picture), its just that I see a huge disconnect
between the idealism and the passionate belief in the rightness of their
cause and the profound failure to have any clear idea of what precisely that
cause is and where it is likely to take them (and us) in the very near
future.

http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/the-idrc-and-%E2%80%9Copen-developm
ent%E2%80%9D-ict4d-by-and-for-the-new-middle-class/

It is hard (from this paper) to see how a commitment to "open development"
or "open ICT4D" is much more than a commitment to further enabling the
(already) enabled and empowering the (already) empowered.

White Noise: On the Limits of Openness (Living Book Mix): Gary Hall

http://www.livingbooksaboutlife.org/books/Open_science/Introduction

2.       Transparency

Thanks for your elaboration on the notion of "transparency and MSism", it is
quite useful both for what it includes but rather more interestingly for
what is not included.

As I'm sure you know the notion of "transparency" is generally yoked with
the notion of "accountability".  This isn't simply for catch phrase
purposes.  "Transparency and accountability" are linked together because one
is necessary for and supportive of the other.

To have accountability you need to have transparency and the primary
function of transparency is to lead to or enable accountability.

The fact that you almost completely omit any reference to accountability in
your exposition and give no clear indication of how "transparency" as you
present it is actually linked to any structures of "accountability" is
fatally indicative of a fundamental flaw in the approach to MSism you are
presenting.  It is great if MS process are fully transparent.  But so what,
for whom or why does it matter if I or anyone knows how decisions are made
if they are being made by unaccountable (MS) elites/actors or through
unaccountable non-democratic (anti-democratic) processes.

Democracy, at least according to any document I've ever seen, is
fundamentally about "accountability"-accountability of decision makers to
those on whose behalf decisions are being, accountability to the broad
public interest (rather than individual private interests-ever hear about
conflict of interest laws), accountability to laws determining formal
processes of decision making within democratic frameworks. "Transparency" is
one of the necessary tools for achieving this "accountability". a tool
towards accountability not an end in itself, which in practice would be and
is a pointless and wasteful exercise of attempting to hide in plain sight.

Transparency without accountability in a system of governance may quite
correctly describe your experience of MSism in ICANN (from many reports this
is quite accurate) and unfortunately may apply to many current formally
democratic systems of governance but is this a "principle" on which you want
to build your MSist governance sandcastle.

3.       Consensus

My JNC colleagues have I think quite correctly pointed to the absurdity of
"consensus" as a governance principle.  As they have pointed out such
consensus is impossible in the real (policy) world and particularly where
allocative decisions need to be made (where there are winners and losers).
Rather than suggest what is in effect a procedural/technical aspect of
decision making (there are an almost infinite number of ways of arriving at
decisions including of course "consensus") I would have thought it perhaps
more appropriate to agree on the principle that the outcome of the decision
making processes should be decisions which optimize the public good.
Unfortunately your "consensus principle" is a clear attempt to hard wire
into Internet (and other?) decision making a process whose outcome
inevitably and necessarily must be the optimization of private (stakeholder)
interests.