[governance] FW: [discuss] What is MSism?

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 12:36:13 EDT 2014

Yes, to Jeanette's comments below... and to add, what also seems new is

            *the intent to formalize MSism as a method of formal decision
making in areas very much outside the narrowly technical

            *the intent to substitute this for other methods of formal
decision making

            *the presentation of MSism as an update on other forms of
decision making for example as "enhanced democracy" or "post-democratic"

            *the identification of MSism as a specific response to a wide
range of problems with current democratic processes rather than one
tool/method among many for enhancing consultative processes

            *the attempt to implement this method across the board in a
specific sphere, Internet Governance, but with strong implications of it
being applicable in much much wider spheres

            *the launching of a widely based seemingly coordinated campaign
in support of the above

In short, as Jeanette points out, the MS model of broadening the base and
methodology of consultation is a very old one, turning it into an "ism" and
a movement is something very new.

Issues of direct democracy are I think tangential to discussions of MSism
and certainly are not relevant to my broader arguments.

The simple opposition between the MS model and representative democracy is a
strawman argument. As I've said repeatedly MS processes have their place and
representative democracy has its problems particularly with somewhat complex
(technical etc.) and fast moving issue areas.

However, the attempt to stampede the world towards a radical broad scale
substitution of MSism for current democratic practice would appear to have
motives much beyond an improvement in the management of the IANA function,
for example, or responding to flaws in current democratic processes-motives
perhaps (as per the two papers I pointed to) of finding a way to formally
include global Internet corporations in global Internet decision making.

If responding to flaws in existing practice were the only concern then the
appropriate approach would be to address the flaws rather than a complete
substitution as is evidently being promoted at least by some.

...something is happening here

But you don't know what it is

Do you, Mister Jones?

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/ballad-thin-man