[governance] IGC Statement in response to NTIA's announced intent to relinquish role in IANA functions

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 22:57:02 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Jean-Christophe Nothias <
jeanchristophe.nothias at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi coordinators,
>
> It seems like the IGC statement basically welcomes the US Department of
> commerce March 14 statement, asking ICANN to convene global stakeholders in
> order to develop a transition proposal. If so, why don't the IGC statement
> tells it clearly using the same NTIA words? (see paraph 1, 2 & 4 in red!)
>
> Second, it seems like the IGC wants to emphasize a couple of specific
> requests, or have a few reminder. So instead - at paraph 3-  of mentioning
> "THE MULTISTAKHOLDER MODEL" - which is something far from being defined -
> why don't you go for a more humble and true "A MULTISTAKEHOLDER MODEL"?
> Using the term "THE" seems to conclude to the existence of ONE SINGLE
> MODEL. Is that the case? DO we have one MODEL already set? Which one? Can
> we have a look at it?

I have amended the statement to read: "Multistakeholder governance models
should include all sectors of the Internet ecosystem. "

> Regarding the expression "THAT ENHANCED DEMOCRACY", (see paraph 3) again
> this idea of "ENHANCED DEMOCRACY" is something very odd. Either we wish to
> RESPECT DEMOCRACY, or we do speak about something we don't know. WHAT IS
> THE NEXT BEST STAGE OF DEMOCRACY according to the IGC? This is vague
> enough, and slippery enough to maybe just mention "RESPECT DEMOCRACY". If
> we look for respecting Democracy, already quite a task then, where would
> you put the emphasis? I would recommend the idea of legitimacy, clear
> separation of power and definition of roles, accountability. As I haven't
> this in this statement, I do really wonder, if we should not all start by
> simply respecting democratic values, before "ENHANCING ANYTHING" toward
> something we have no idea about.
>
> The IGC is not at the spotlight here but we are focusing on what kind of
policy model we would like to see.
The IGC supports the multi-stakeholder policy making model as an
all-inclusive, bottom-up, consensus driven model that enhances democracy by
its inclusiveness of all people from around the world who might be affected
by its policy decision processes and outcomes.