[governance] DOT EDU EXTENSION

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Mar 22 05:33:35 EDT 2014

In message <532C765C.3020608 at afilias.info>, at 13:26:52 on Fri, 21 Mar
2014, Ken Stubbs <kstubbs at afilias.info> writes
>I believe Roland & others are mistaken here.
>
>To the best of my knowledge this string was not reserved by the US for
>exclusive use by themselves but
>is overseen by Educause   (see www.educause.edu). a group of over 1,800
>colleges and universities collaborating
>on common higher education IT challenges—sharing the mission of
>transforming higher education through the use of information technology.

I'm aware that the registry is run by Educause, but I've also quoted
from the rules on their website which state the restrictions on
registrations in .edu (which I expect have been handed down by the
Department of Commerce as part of the contract).

In other words, it's not open to "all members of Educause", furthermore
making membership of Educuase a requirement for registration would also
be a matter for concerned debate.

I'm not saying Educause is the wrong entity to be administering the
gTLD, merely commenting on the rules they have to work within.
--
Roland Perry