[governance] DOT EDU EXTENSION

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Mar 21 07:42:38 EDT 2014

In message <1746728927.24766.1395355101321.JavaMail.www at wwinf1n33>, at
23:38:21 on Thu, 20 Mar 2014, Jean-Louis FULLSACK <jlfullsack at orange.fr>
writes
>In other words
>
>.edu is a "common good" ... for the US

Perhaps now is the time for it [.edu] to be thrown open for global
multistakeholder governance[1], alongside IANA.

nb. I am not suggesting the same be necessarily done right away for .mil
and .gov, because these appear to have a much more defacto legacy as
"The US military" and "The US Government".

Although eventually both of those might perhaps be moved to .mil.us and
.gov.us in order to conform with the rest-of-the-globe standard for such
things.

Then we could have urls like yourministry.yourcountry.gov, rather than
them being Balkanised across the ccTLDs.

[1] That governance could decide to keep the status quo of
    "US EDUcation", but it should at least be debated.
--
Roland Perry