[governance] Re: [discuss] Republicans Uneasy About ICANN Decision, Schedule Hearing

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Wed Mar 19 13:41:35 EDT 2014

> Republicans Uneasy About ICANN Decision, Schedule Hearing

Text of the Upton/Walden statement - <http://energycommerce.house.gov/press-release/committee-leaders-pledge-robust-oversight-administration-announcement-future-internet#sthash.Kmo0uJ5c.dpuf>

"The Internet has thrived across the globe under the existing multi-stakeholder effort, and should serve as a guide for the future. We welcome a thoughtful discussion amongst Internet stakeholders on the Department of Commerce’s role in the DNS. But changes to the current model should be approached with a cautious and careful eye. The Energy and Commerce Committee has been at the forefront of the effort to preserve Internet openness and freedom. We will continue to conduct robust oversight to ensure that before any changes are considered we safeguard that no government or intergovernmental body takes over critical DNS functions. We have many questions, and look forward to a thorough examination the first week of April."

FYI,
/John