[governance] IGC Statement in response to NTIA's announced intent to relinquish role in IANA functions

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 18:50:45 EDT 2014

Thanks, Sala. The following shows the first time that change was suggested
and what was being changed.

Finally, IGC is concerned that beyond phasing out NTIA's current role,
> there remains the question of the jurisdiction to be applicable to the
> structure that will emerge from this transition. For such structure to be
> truly global, the Caucus feels it is important that it not be subject to
> one national jurisdiction but rather to an internationally recognized legal
> mechanism. It is in this context that appropriate accountability
> instruments should be carefully designed for the new governance institution.

(Ideas expressed in the above sentence could be conveyed more gently,
indicating a willingness to be patient) : The Internet Governance Caucus
expresses hope that the IANA function would be managed as a truly global
function, gradually with an internationally neutral judicial framework and
that the new governance institution would constantly evolve suitable and
appropriate accountability and transparency mechanisms.

Sivasubramanian M