[governance] Re: [bestbits] need for regulation ....

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Mon Mar 17 11:29:43 EDT 2014

On 03/17/2014 08:20 PM, Adam Peake wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2014, at 11:05 PM, Guru गुरु wrote:
>
>> David,

>>>   Indeed. It is particularly unclear because many in civil society, or government for that matter, might oppose it becoming public knowledge. Such a course of action would almost certainly lead to many Google searches returning results ranked according to the most industrious search engine optimisation service customers, rather than having at least a reasonable chance of being ranked in a useful way.
>> Adam also mentioned the issue of searches being gamed and I did give a response ...
>
> Hi Guru,
>
> Apologies, I took your reply as agreeing with the points I made, so I didn't bother to reply further.  You agreed to a high probability of gaming occurring... and suggested research.  I took this as you agreeing that you had been too enthusiastic when stating that Google's search algorithm needs to be public knowledge.

Hardly Adam, for any public policy, there will be innumerable
issues/challenges.  the challenge of gaming is obvious and I have no
doubt it needs to be and can be  addressed.

By the same logic, free and open source software should have the maximum
viruses since it the source code is freely available. Paradoxically,
while Windows is plagued with viruses, GNU/Linux is not. One of the
reasons given is that, the open source allows many people to study and
identify issues and help resolve it... whereas this is not possible with
proprietary software.

Do you accept that Google keeping its search algorithm has dangerous
public interest implications - we really dont know what is hidden in the
code used by millions of users and how it may have malignant code that
can serve its commercial (and post Snowden we know how many US IT
companies are hand in glove with the USG) political interest of its
masters.? If yes,  then you need to think of a public interest based
response to this ...  the ball is in your court as well..

Guru