[governance] Re: [bestbits] IGC press release in response to the NTIA announcement of March 14

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 17:14:18 EDT 2014

 removed BB from cc, as we all should unless the IGC and BB want to do
a joint announcement>

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 6:28 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>>

>> Mawaki
>>
>> Thanks for this effort.
>>
>> As often and variously discussed on this list, terms like 'equitable multistakholder policy development model' are very problematic unless we have some basic definition of what is meant here, and  it clearly excludes decision making on public policy issues... This particular language should therefore be struck out.
>>
>> Also, our communication , immediately after welcoming the decision and complimenting US gov for it, should upfront say that we are eager to know more details - especially about (1) whether it means that ICANN would no longer be under any contractual obligations with the US gov, and be in independent control of the root zone server,

We already know that ICANN is only "in control" of L root-server.

VRSN stays as root admin, this announcement doesn't change that.

>> and (2) what happens to the issue of jurisdiction of incorporation of ICANN and it being subject to US laws and such and

 this announcement means that it CAN shift domicile.

>> (3) whether any conditions would be imposed in 'freeing ICANN' and if so, of what nature....

We know that an intergov replacement is not an option.

>> And that we look forward to complete and real globalisation of ICANN, in a manner that takes care of these issues..
>>
>> Also, a minor point, about one but last para, governance institutions do not have customers, only constituencies

some of them have both.

For the record, I have an issue with this sentence:

 It will be a constant challenge to make sure the term
'multistakeholder' is not reduced to mean
'anti-all-governments-of-the-world' but is rather open to embrace a
'pro-all-peoples-of-the-world' meaning.

 as it is too negative.

 I support JH's change.

--