[bestbits] Re: [governance] IGC press release in response to the NTIA announcement of March 14

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 08:27:31 EDT 2014

Hi Mawaki,

Thank you for taking the initiative and putting in the effort. In my
personal view, IGC should be strongly concerned about the policy
making mechanisms of both this change the its future thus this should
be well mentioned.

It is very unclear of how this model will evolve in the future. Will
ICANN continue to be that body that manages the IANA function, what is
the future of IANA then?

Will IANA and ICANN be integrated into one organizational model and
how will this organization be moved out of the US and that brings us
back to the initial discussions on the IGC list about the various
possible models including one where ICANN be located to Geneva and
thereof act as an International organization and go into agreements,
treaty or non-treaty bindings with the participation of various
multilateral or bilateral, civil society, technical community and
private sector organizations and bodies.

It is also important to see how Governments are reacting to this and
the Singapore ICANN Public Meeting will be a good space to see how the
GAC responds or the statements that come out of there.

This is a whole new process and we have to find a way to keep IGC
involved inside out of the present and future of this transition where
IGC also holds ground in all policy development processes of this new
form of Internet Governance of the Domain and Naming Space of the
Internet.

As far as the issue of primary Internet organizations are concerned,
that role has evolved to their present state and the Domain and IP
owners, users, consumers or whatever the human role in the
transactional value of domains be, is very primary and important so
that cannot be left to just mentioning Internet organizations as
primary, the human being or user or consumer is primary and thats who
makes this whole system work and creates the demand for this political
economy to operate.

The new role of ICANN or any for the operation and management of an
internationalized and independent domain name space beyond the control
of any nation requires that stakeholders are clearly mentioned and
brought into such a space on equal footing and grounds. That is not
the case as such.

The present ICANN community development processes do inhibit
participation from across the world and though there are some
productive efforts in place but they are not abundant.

Mawaki, when you say [consideration to the concerns and views of
non-technical and non-commercial stakeholders in Internet policies],
that becomes the version of ICANN itself and a terminology that it
uses to create a crack between the Non-Profit or Non-Private Sector
groups that work consistently to find common grounds to work together
but are subject to hierarchy.

IF we look at the present state of the Board of ICANN, you will find a
great deal of imbalance that I have already mentioned.

The statement needs to be reviewed to represent a collective voice of
IGC and in its own words rather than terminology incorporated from
ICANN lingo.

Regards.
Fouad Bajwa
ICT4D and Internet Governance Advisor