[governance] Re: [discuss] NTIA statement

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Mar 15 07:12:30 EDT 2014

All.

The statement from US gov is welcome, and is a step in the right
direction. One looks forward to hear more details.

It was always evident that when Fadi went to Brasilia to meet President
Rousseff, he was carrying a message with some substance, if not fully
specified. That alone would have deterred the President from her path to
seek strong specific global response to the NSA outrage, which path
seemed to go towards the UN. And deter it did. Meanwhile, as a quid pro
quo, US had to made good its promise, and we see it unfolding now.

There always was this big gift wrapped box on the table -- the US/ICANN
offer regarding oversight liberalization. It has however been unclear
what is inside the box -- how big and substantial is the 'gift'. In the
last few weeks, with US and ICANN both talking about lowering
expectations from the NetMundial, one had begun to despair that it may
not be worth peeping into the box at all, but this declaration raises
some hopes again.

There are two important caveats though.

One, we know that the global outrage following Snowden's revelation,
which has consolidated into a new level of awareness about global IG
issues, and need for democratizing global IG, has had little to do with
ICANN oversight. And it had all to do with other issues of control of
the global Internet -- which I listed in an earlier email, like the
monopolistic or oligopolistic US based Internet companies, application
of US law globally, and so on.

As Post-Snowdon damage control, US has chosen just the right time and
person to present the oversight liberalization gift to -- Rousseff's
presidency. Brazil is one of the most important geo-political players on
the IG stage, and Rousseff would love to have such a big gift related to
the oversight of the most fascinating phenomenon of current times, the
Internet, from the most powerful government of the world. It looks so
good to get it, especially just a few months before the elections, where
it can be put to some use. The problem however is, the gift may not be
so alluring for Brazilian Presidency to forget the original issue which
raised Brazil's heckles, and made the global community pose trust in it
to lead the post-Snowden clean-up. US will be betting that this is what
would happen. And I hope and trust the very well-respected and wise
Brazilian establishment to not fall into the trap for a short term gain,
which would undermine its long term global leadership in this area.

In any case, civil society groups that we work with will do their best
that such over-shadowing of key global Internet governance issues, that
the Brazil meeting promised to the global community, does not happen. It
plans to write to the Brazilian government in this regard, and also
raise the issue among Brazilian NGOs and the local as well as
international media.NEtMundial must address non ICANN global IG issues
at least on par with ICANN issues, if not more centrally.

Secondly, with regard to ICANN itself, the fact that ICANN is subject to
US law is even more significant that NTIA's role in signing the root
file of the Internet. The problem with NTIAs role was not whether it
would routinely interfere with ICANN decisions, which it was careful
enough to almost never do. It was the fact that the root of the Internet
was under the control of US government, a control that could be misused
at relatively extra-ordinary times, like a war, or other less dramatic
foreign policy 'situations'. Nothing has changed in that regard. ICANN
as a US non profit still remains fully subject to US laws, including
such that are used in service of foreign policy imperatives.

One such law is theForeign Assets Control regulations, whereby any
foreign asset in the US can be seized at any time, given the Executive's
satisfaction of certain conditions. US corporations, and that includes
ICANN can be barred from having any relationship with any entity in the
country that this law may pick on for a larger number of possible
reasons. There are also many other legal routes whereby ICANN can be
legally instructed to disable entries on the root file, for instance, by
a US court with regard to the top level domain of a generic drugs
company which is found to be in repeated violation of US intellectual
property laws.

In the circumstances, NTIA ceding its formal role of signing any root
changes while having a significant symbolic significance, may not mean
so much in real terms as it may appear at the first blush. Ceding the
root signing authority must be accompanied with incorporation of ICANN
as an international entity, under international law, with all its
operations having complete immunity from US laws. This is the important
part, and there seems to be no willingness at present to do so.

parminder