[bestbits] Re: [governance] need for regulation ....

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Mon Mar 10 15:05:33 EDT 2014

Guru,

You are arguing that the Google search algorithm is a public good and must be regulated as  such.

I am saying Google is just another - firm in a dominant position whose secret sauce is a closely guarded trade secret. Unlike Coke's secret formula, Google's changes often; but it is still a trade secret if that's the way the business operates.

So yes my view is that in spite of all appearances of present invincibility, odds are Google is just another firm with dominant products in markets, at a particular point in time.

Which usual government regulatory proceedings can handle without resorting to a global regulatory takings process whose likelihood of success is somewhere around highly unlikely; is all I am saying. It would be a good topic for IGF.

The concept of 'search neutrality' never got much traction, but it is definitely legitimate for the Indian, and European, and US regulators to consider the market impact of Google search results and address them if there is evidence of abuse of a dominant position.

Which, cough cough, well let's wait til the dust/smoke settles, but certainly smells like Google has grown up to the point it may safely be forecast that they will be operating under various competition policy regulatory reviews for years to come.

Congrats? ; )

Lee