[governance] IGC's NETMundial Submission

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Mar 8 11:11:52 EST 2014

In message
<144a2107f10.27e9.4f968dcf8ecd56c9cb8acab6370fcfe0 at hserus.net>, at
19:50:00 on Sat, 8 Mar 2014, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net>
writes
>Funnily enough carriers in india have been slashing International data
>roaming charges and T-Mobile has post paid packages with free
>international data roaming.

Completely free of charge, or just at no extra cost compared to domestic
data?

I can't see how International data roaming could ever sustainably be
cheaper than the domestic data charges in the country you are roaming
to. Someone has to pay for the infrastructure there.

>So even that is changing and will change faster as a lot more moves
>away from traditional phone systems to voip

Mobile networks rely on high voice-call roaming costs too. If they are
losing international business to voip, it could be a reason for
competition to reduce the voice call costs.

--
Roland Perry