[governance] IGC's NETMundial Submission

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Mar 8 06:19:59 EST 2014

In message
<CACTo+v-NWwCNdae3ks_JF2nLqR97KPiE+OpW=MADtENX8CJWeA at mail.gmail.com>, at
20:00:17 on Fri, 7 Mar 2014, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> writes
>I suspect the proponent means to refer to the level of economic
>development of a region or a group pf people, or something along those
>lines. Is there a formulation that would make it more acceptable to you
>as a "pragmatic aspiration"?

I'm fully supportive of removing *artificial* cost barriers that affect
regions.

But I remember when by far the biggest cost of setting up an ISP (and
hence the biggest cost to my subscribers) in the UK was leasing a
transatlantic connection to New York. Every sent to or from another user
in the UK went via New York.

For reasons such as this, the *inherent* cost of providing access
differs enormously depending on the geography and (the point I was
making earlier) the local loop technology used, even within a developed
country such as the UK.

Very approximately, $20 will buy me 1GB of 3G/4G connectivity a month,
or "unlimited" (in practice up to perhaps 100GB) of landline
connectivity a month.

Politics is never going to change that, although politics might one day
change the fact that if I access the Internet on a different part of the
*same* company's Pan-European 3G network, I would get only about 100MB
for my $20 (which is an order of magnitude more data than I might have
got only a few years ago).

--
Roland Perry