[governance] [bestbits] Three NETmundial submissions launched for endorsement at bestbits.net

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Sat Mar 8 04:49:36 EST 2014

On 8 Mar 2014, at 2:32 pm, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> Do note that the currently fashionable meme of  'equal footing' in public policy functions does not ever circumscribe the areas where big business can thus exercise formal political power, and where it cannot. The multistakeholder policy making models, for instance the one offered by Jeremy, applies to all areas of Internet policies at the global level. Soon, it will be areas of policy in any sector at the global level. Such efforts are of course already afoot. And then gradually this models is brought to the national levels.

I'm just going to respond briefly to this discrete point since my name was mentioned.  If you take another look at my NETmundial submission, or indeed at anything else that I have written, I have never specified that there must be equality at the level of formal political power, and actually have said the opposite.  My support has always been for multi-stakeholder processes that develop soft law, which at their intersection with national and international legal systems would have to be implemented through by parliaments, courts, treaties, etc.

Anyway, it is clear that there is a greater than ever divergence between those of us who support the development of multi-stakeholder global Internet governance and those who will continue to place their faith in intergovernmentalism, and we will both claim that it is in support of democracy.  I don't have a problem with the division or the debate, but can we resist taking such a badgering tone?  I really doubt that that form of discourse is going to convince anyone to switch their views.

--
Jeremy Malcolm PhD LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet lawyer, ICT policy advocate, geek

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/pgp.