[governance] IGC's NETMundial Submission

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Mar 7 16:11:03 EST 2014

Quite often this is not an internet governance question but a telecom competition policy question.

If a country's government has an enlightened attitude in freeing up telecom from being a government monopoly, providing for fair competition such as unbundling, sharing the last mile (whether cell towers or copper / fiber), providing access to government owned rights of way (such as laying fiber along railway track beds, and in city utility tunnels / lamp posts) then you will automatically get to see cheaper Internet access.

There is little or nothing that we are going to achieve by putting this on the table at netmundial, I am afraid.   A laudable goal and all that, but we have to stay focused.

--srs (iPad)