[bestbits] Re: [governance] Alternatives?

Diego Rafael Canabarro diegocanabarro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:10:33 EST 2014

I beg to differ: democracy is not a "national concept".
It is an abstract concept that comprises (in most liberal accounts) public
participation and open/free opposition through institutionalized channels.
Ascriptive democracy involves, also, capacity building in aspects related
to participation and opposition. The most concrete and known manifestations
of it occur within national polities. But it does not mean *per se *that
those abstract normative propositions cannot be operationalized on
transnational, international, global bases. I actually believe that that
(broad participation, opposition and public scrutiny of conflitcs, as well
as capacity building for those tasks) is just the case ahead of us in
relations to the future of INet Governance.

Regards
Diego

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:

> How about democracy is supposed to be a national concept while we are
> dealing with transnational issues that involve  public but also lots of
> private resources? Thus, this is not about replacing democracy but
> enhancing some of its principles to the transnational sphere. Actually an
> old idea that now has found another concrete case of application.
> Jeanette
>
> On 6 March 2014 17:47:04 CET, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> >I'm still waiting for a rationale for replacing an admittedly flawed
> >system
> >(democracy) but one where there is at least a track record, very
> >considerable theoretical development, an enormous ecology concerning
> >Transparency and Accountability with a pig in a poke
> >(multistakeholderism)
> >which has no (applicable) track record, absolutely no theoretical
> >development or underpinnings, and whose only ecology is highly
> >questionable
> >since it suffers from, shall we say, significant transparency and
> >accountability "deficits".
> >

> >The only justification that seems to be presented is impatience with
> >existing processes by various highly questionable actors--tax dodging
> >private
> >sector giants, an (as yet we are not sure how deeply subverted) tech
> >community and a bunch of corporate sponsored CS organizations. Not only
> >this
> >but the proposed system is such as to give an explicit veto over
> >("consensus
> >based") public policy outputs to those self-same private sector giants
> >etc.
> >etc.
> >

> >If folks are serious about finding useful ways forward then spending
> >time
> >thinking about how to achieve useful reforms of existing democratic
> >processes/developing MS processes that enhance and deepen democratic
> >participation in the very complex and rapidly changing tech environment
> >would seem to me to be the way to go, unless of course there are other
> >reasons for discarding democracy which we aren't being made aware of.
> >(That
> >the US presentation re: Internet Governance to NetMundial evokes MSism
> >12
> >times and fails to mention democracy even once should give various of
> >those
> >party to this discussion some cause for reflection.)

*Diego R. Canabarro*
http://lattes.cnpq.br/4980585945314597
diego.canabarro [at] *ufrgs.br <http://ufrgs.br>*
diegocanabarro [at] *gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*
Cell # +55-51-8108-1098
Skype: diegocanabarro

*GT Governança Digital*

*Centro de Estudos Internacionais sobre Governo (CEGOV)*

Campus do Vale, prédio 43322 - Av. Bento Gonçalves, 9500
Porto Alegre / RS CEP 91509-900
Fone: +55 51 3308.9860 / 3308.9934 / Site: *www.cegov.ufrgs.br
<http://www.cegov.ufrgs.br/>*