[governance] RE: Alternatives?

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 09:00:55 EST 2014

Andrew,

I fail to see how Wolfgang's discussion of MSism as an ideal type (using the
narrowly technical issues addressed by the IETF as his example) addresses
any of the reality based questions that I posed.

Perhaps you (or Wolfgang or others) could either indicate how Wolfgang's
comments do address my questions or respond to them yourself.

As a reminder I'm copying them in below...

Reading your contribution I’m left with more questions than answers I’m
afraid..

1.	What are the details for the formation/determination of
“stakeholders”—do they pursue their interests/stakes or do they pursue the
public good

a.	How are divergent interests/conflicts within stakeholder groups
handled
b.	Is this transparent
c.	What are the accountability mechanisms here
d.	Who/how is “legitimacy” accorded/denied—by what authority
e.	Who gives legitimacy to the legitimizers

2.	Decision making processes—i.e. how are divergent interests/conflicts
between stakeholders handled

a.	who gets to deny consensus and how can we be at all certain that the
result is in the public interest—
b.	can/should those with specific private interests be in a position to
deny consensus/force consensus on their terms (Parminder’s point about the
private sector being equal with governments in making decisions)
c.	Is there an artificial drive to a forced consensus
d.	Can private interests drive decisions and what is to prevent this
e.	Is there such a thing as “conflict of interest”—who is responsible
for this—how is it policed, sanctions

3.	How to ensure true diversity of opinion including among those who
challenge the way in which the issues are framed—diversity of “identity” is
relatively easy, normative diversity is rather more difficult to achieve and
handle
4.	How is the very real danger of capture guarded against
5.	What would be the process of deepening participation/consultation

Without dealing with the above and associated reality based questions you
and the other MSist advocates are expecting folks to buy a pig in a poke

alright perhaps for some – the powerful and the networked but dangerous
indeed for everyone else.