[governance] Re: [bestbits] Three NETmundial submissions launched for endorsement at bestbits.net

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 21:57:46 EST 2014

Andrew (and Suresh.

Those are quite legitimate points/questions and very much worthy of serious
discussion and debate.

However, evoking (over and over and over.) the undefined, undescribed,
undetailed multistakeholderist mantra doesn't get us any closer.

The continuous shapeshifting by the proponents of the MS meme whenever they
are challenged to get real --well this isn't quite "MSism", it isn't true
MSism, it will be better next time MSism, doesn't do anyone a service
(except the "wizards" behind the curtains).

>From my own experience, whenever MSism "gets real" it falls apart-either it
doesn't have any operational processes or related significant structures of
accountability so it can't handle even the most insignificant of challenges
without some form of full on offensive/defensive onslaught or it simply
ignores the issue and moves on. Nor can it handle even the most
inconsequential of divergences/diversities of opinion-the drive towards
convergence/consensus (and the associated processes of marginalization and
exclusion) are terrifying to me if there were any real chance of scaling.
In the last century we had a lot of experience (and several names) for
political systems that couldn't deal with challenge, divergence, conflict
and insisted on a managed consensus and forced choices "or else.

Democracy and multi-lateralism both have many many flaws but they have both
taken us a considerable distance down roads that allow us to be where we are
now and thinking about significant and desirable ways forward into much more
complex decision environments. Moreover we now have (the possibility of
using) new tools to support the extending of democratic capabilities, the
broader inclusion of diversities, the extension of opportunities for
effective participation to previously marginalized populations.

I see absolutely no reason for civil society to be uncritically supporting
MSism as is obviously currently the case. To my mind this goes against
everything that CS has traditionally stood for-the broadening and deepening
of accountability in support of the public good, the strengthening of
democracy including through its extension to the poor and marginalized, the
developing of public processes and methods to control the unaccountable use
of private power in opposition to the public interest.

MSism is in its essence a form of privatization of power-shifting of power
from the hands of people (however flawed that might be) to the hands of
those who for the most part are unaccountable and non-transparent in their
actions, their internal operations and in their structures.

I would love to see some demonstration that I am wrong or that I've missed
something but another round of "trust them/us" is not going to cut it.

Mike