[governance] Re: [discuss] Three NETmundial submissions launched for endorsement at bestbits.net

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Mar 5 10:11:57 EST 2014

On Wednesday 05 March 2014 01:30 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> With thanks to everyone for their hard work on the drafts, we are now
> simultaneously launching three submissions for the NETmundial meeting.
>  These submissions are the end results of extensive discussions on the
> Best Bits lists going back to last year, with a final face-to-face
> review this week (particularly on the roadmap for further evolution of
> the institutional submission) by those of you who are present at
> RightsCon in San Francisco.
>
> The three complementary submissions, all of which are open for
> endorsement separately, are:
>
>  1. Internet governance principles,
>     http://bestbits.net/netmundial-principles/
>  2. Roadmap for the Further Evolution of the Internet Governance
>     Ecosystem -- institutional mechanisms,
>     http://bestbits.net/netmundial-roadmap/
>  3. Roadmap for the Further Evolution of the Internet Governance
>     Ecosystem -- ICANN, http://bestbits.net/netmundial-icann/

The ICANN related submission really takes the cake...

ICANN should stay a US non profit under Californian law, which is
declared to be the best for this purpose. Great! That is just the
pronouncement that people were waiting with bated breath for civil
society to make.

And if limited forays towards developing additional international bases
-without changing the legal incorporation in the US - has indeed to be
tried, try Belgium and Switzerland - dont even look at those dangerous
developing countries. But then of course there is, latter on, also the
standard, complementary patronising separate section on  doing something
about those poor developing countries....

And of course the only principle that ICANN should look at is FoE, no
matter that its new gTLD policy is an instrument for private (mostly US
based) appropriation of cultural names, idea and heritages from the
world over... Lets not bother about such small things... Cultural rights
and such things are old outdated concepts in this brave new world.

As a colleague said offline, this proposal could have been written by
ICANN.... I disagree only to the extent that in the present
circumstances even ICANN cant write this stuff - only some 'more royal
than the king' civil society can.... After all the overt promises that
were made to the Brazil President, obviously ICANN needs to offer
something more clear and concrete, lets see...

I am almost shocked that such a submission can be proposed to go in the
name of global civil society groups.... What must one think of
developing countries really, to propose this....

BestBits office holders, is there a minimum threshold below which the BB
platform is not offered for collecting endorsements?

Parminder