[governance] FW: [Dewayne-Net] The internet is fucked

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Mar 5 05:40:07 EST 2014

In message <002e01cf37cf$4ef3eb40$ecdbc1c0$@gmail.com>, at 09:29:31 on
Tue, 4 Mar 2014, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> quoted:

>In the UK, where incumbent provider BT is required to allow competitors
>to use its wired broadband network, home internet service prices are as
>low as £2.50 a month, or just over $4.

Just to get our facts straight, these sorts of deals are available only
if you switch your telephone service to the same non-BT provider, and
pay around £15 per month local loop line rental (whether you wanted a
voice line or not). With typical voice call bundles added in, it's
difficult to get a complete package for under £30 per month ($50).

And these prices are for people living in urban areas where there's lots
of broadband competition (the regulator decides if you live in such an
area, not the provider). Outside those areas add another typically $10 a
month.
--
Roland Perry