[governance] Finding IGC voice... again, on NETMundial and beyond.

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Mar 4 03:10:38 EST 2014

On Monday 03 March 2014 08:03 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

The proposal to say on what there can be a possible consensus, on this
principle..
> I don't think it makes any sense to call for the "immediate" replacement of U.S. oversight without having a viable and well thought-out proposal for an alternative.

There have been, only perhaps you have not looked at them... In any
case, agreeing on a principle clears the way to look at proposals that
fit that principle (for instance, your proposal to me seem not to fit
the principle of all people in the world having an equal or equitable role)

> There are two proposals on the table: Ian's, which would strengthen ICANN by simply giving it control of IANA, and the IGP proposal, which takes IANA out of ICANN and makes it an independent entity controlled by all the world's TLD registries and root server operators.
>
> At the very least, a statement from IGC could reference both proposals as something worth considering. Preferably, however, we should have a substantive discussion about the merits of either approach.

As mentioned, there are other proposals as well... parminder