[governance] Finding IGC voice... again, on NETMundial and beyond.

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 15:55:06 EST 2014

Dear All,

First of all, I wish to apologize on behalf of Deirdre and myself for the
prolonged silence. We both have been caught at the same time in other
immediate commitments with various demands on our time, including traveling
and the burdens that come with (starting with the reason why one might be
traveling in the first place which can only be carried out during the
limited time of such travels.) Anyway, you get my drift...

Now I'd like to get the ball rolling on things that we as IGC might want to
do this year by building on those who have already posted ideas and
suggestions regarding the NetMundial at São Paulo. While it may be late for
starting to prepare a written submission which is expected to be in by
March 8, perhaps we may still start working out something that could be
delivered during the proceedings if we are given the opportunity (or simply
as a first step in the formulation of some basic ideas we might seek
consensus on at some point in the process in response to Ig challenges of
the day, even beyond São Paulo.)

On that note, I remember Antonio Medina Gómez sending to the list a note
dated Jan 22 where he volunteered "to attend the meeting and act as
Rapporteur for the IGC to report back on meetings in real time. Let me know
what your thoughts are. I will also update you daily and at the end of the
meeting produce a report on key observations. I think having a team of IGC
rapporteurs would be useful and I am willing to volunteer."

So maybe beyond written submissions, the question that looms ahead is: How
are we going to organize IGC presence and participation in the proceedings
in São Paulo?

Meanwhile and for immediate consideration, I have seen over the recent days
two proposals/statements that appear to me a good starting point for
discussing any possible input by IGC or subsets/member of IGC. One is more
about principles and the other more focused on a practical solution to one
problem. I have copied and pasted them as follows.

[SOURCE: Louis Pouzin, mail posted on Feb 28]

1 - On-line users must enjoy the same human rights as they do off-line.

2- There must not be discrimination in access and contents due to criteria
such as opinion, religion, race, gender, geography, language, or economic
resources.

3- Services offered in the internet must remain equitable and neutral among
service providers, without taking unfair advantage of a dominant or
privileged position.

4- Internet availability, deployment, and service conditions must benefit
all segments of the human society, not just those enjoying richer economic
development.

5- A special effort must be engaged in order to provide the Less Developed
Countries with an equitable share of resources to participate in activities
related to worldwide internet governance.

[SOURCE: Ian Peter, mail posted on Feb 28]

Roadmap (and principles) for internalisation of the former  IANA functions
within the multistakeholder ICANN model.

This roadmap concentrates on one internet governance issue only - the
future of the IANA functions which have been the subject of much past
discussion because current arrangements are seen by many to be outside of
the preferred multistakeholder model.

Indeed, IANA itself was established  in an era before current internet
governance models (multistakeholder) and governance institutions (eg ICANN)
were in existence.

ROADMAP

This roadmap suggests that the IANA functions, though necessary processes
in the secure and authoritative functioning of the Internet, no longer need
a separate entity and would more productively merged with similar functions
under the auspices of ICANN. Subject of course to many concerns about
details, this direction appears to have widespread support from
governments, civil society, technical community, and private sector.

 In order to achieve this desired change efficiently and productively, the
following roadmap is proposed.

1.       ICANN should be requested to prepare a proposal for management of
the previous IANA functions within the ICANN multistakeholder model,
bearing in mind the following criteria:

(a) protection of the root zone from political or other improper
interference;

(b) integrity, stability, continuity, security and robustness of the
administration of the root zone;

(c) widespread [international] trust by Internet users in the
administration of this function; (d) support of a single unified root zone;
and

(e) agreement regarding an accountability mechanism for this function that
is broadly accepted as being in the global public interest."

2. Preparation of the proposal should involve discussion with all major
stakeholder groups, with a completion timetable for a first draft for
discussion at the Internet Governance Forum in Turkey in September 2014.

3. To expedite completion in a timely manner, it is suggested that outside
consultants be engaged to prepare the discussion paper (proposal) in
consultation with major stakeholders.

4. The solution must have the following characteristics

(a) offers a legal structure that is robust against rogue litigation attacks

(b) is aligned with the Internet technical infrastructure in a way that
supports innovative, technology based evolution of the DNS .

(c) is an inclusive model

(d) is a demonstrable improvement on current processes in this area

END of proposals

Deirdre also has suggested the possibility of a series of very short
statements (micro-blogging kind of length) to capture succinct positions on
critical points. She will probably say more on that in the next couple of
days.

Meanwhile I am inviting you all to step forward and share your thought
about the above.

Thank you.

Mawaki