[governance] Re: FW: [discuss] Some more legal tangles for ICANN

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 07:27:37 EDT 2014

I don't think Nigel's comments are "contra" to what I am saying.

My point is that I do not think that ICANN will take the position that
.ir is the "intangible property" of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

ICANN doesn't take monies from Iran, ICANN doesn't owe Iran any monies.

Read the Writ, it is quite simple for ICANN to answer.

"No, we don't hold any of their property"

"No, we don't owe them any money"

While governments do claim sovereignty over their ccTLDs, they are
held in trust by the folks they are delegated to, not "owned".

I would guess we will see ICANN's answer on their "correspondence" page soon.

Cheers,

McTim