[governance] [bestbits] NetMundial Alliance

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 05:26:16 EDT 2014

Hello from ICANN London

On Jun 25, 2014, at 3:05 AM, Joana Varon <joana at varonferraz.com> wrote:

> it would also be interesting to know the latest positions at the GAC about the transition process. Have anyone written anything about it?

 the GAC Communiqué  is here:

https://gacweb.icann.org/download/attachments/27132037/GAC%20London%20Commu
nique%20FINAL%20.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1403767077808&api=v2

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Nnenna Nwakanma <nnenna75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi people
>
> Who was in the GAC/Board meeting today when ICANN President announced a "NetMundial Alliance" in London at ICANN50?

Fadi has been musing privately about this since at least September but the concept is still evolving, so the announcement now was an interesting decision.  NCUC had the US delegation visit our Tuesday meeting for an hour and when I asked about it, Larry Strickling said they were as surprised as anyone by the announcement and looking forward to hearing more.  A rep of another presumably relevant entity I asked said pretty much the same.  One that’s not here seems to know more, so probably the conversation is being evolved piecemeal.

Without wanting to put words in his mouth, basically Fadi seems to think that a new multistakeholder configuration of (what he sees as) key governments and nongovernmental actors is needed to carry forward the NETmundial agenda.  The argument has been put to him that such an effort would likely be more divisive than useful if it’s constructed on a selective rather than inclusive basis and is decoupled from other processes/forums than enjoy broad legitimacy.  Hopefully he’ll take these and related considerations on board going forward, guess we’ll see.

Best

Bill