[governance] G77 Santa Cruz Declaration

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 04:55:47 EDT 2014

For those with an interest
 The Santa Cruz Declaration of the G77 summit is
here: http://www.g77bolivia.com/en/declaration-santa-cruz

The G77 is what used to be known as the “non-aligned” group of countries in
the UN (and elsewhere).  It now includes 133 countries including all of the
BRICS (i.e. Russia, India, China, South Africa, and Brazil) and thus a vast
majority of the world’s population and arguably a majority of the world’s
current economy and rising fast.

While the Declaration only tangentially alludes to ICTs, it’s central
element— the Latin American concept of "buen vivir" which very loosely
translates in English as 'living well' is discussed in the article below.

<http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/blog/buen-vivir-philosophy-
south-america-eduardo-gudynas>
http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/blog/buen-vivir-philosophy-s
outh-america-eduardo-gudynas

The Santa Cruz G 77 Declaration is named as "For a new world order for
living well' (in the buen viver sense).

Also interesting to recognize the links between the Santa Cruz Declaration
and the quite independently formulated
<http://justnetcoalition.org/delhi-declaration> Just Net Coalition Delhi
Declaration and the
<http://cirn.wikispaces.com/An+Internet+for+the+Common+Good+-+Engagement%2C+
Empowerment%2C+and+Justice+for+All> Community Informatics: An Internet for
the Common Good

Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:09 PM
Subject: G77 Santa Cruz Declaration

Hi all,

The organizers consider it a "relaunching" of the G77.  Its main focus is on
climate change, the environment and a critique of the development model,
which was Bolivia's main contribution, including introducing the concept of
"living well" as an alternative to "sustainable development" in the
traditional sense.  It also calls for a reformed global financial
architecture.

Here are some extracts relating to the issues that most directly concern
this (ICT) space:

Technology transfer, science and innovation for development

 156.   We believe that science, knowledge and technology integration and
innovation should be instruments for promoting peace and people’s
sustainable development, well-being and happiness and that they should thus
be oriented towards the promotion of the empowerment of the poor, the
eradication of poverty and hunger, and the promotion of solidarity and
complementarity among and within peoples so that they may live well in
harmony with Mother Earth.

157.   We express our concern that science, technology and innovation can be
abused as instruments to limit and undermine countries’ sovereignty,
sustainable development and poverty eradication.

158.   We call for an end to the use of information and communication
technologies, including social networks, in contravention of international
law and in detriment to any State, in particular members of the Group of 77
or their citizens.

(...)

Internet governance, including the right to privacy

194.   We view with dismay that some countries have recently been
undertaking extensive, arbitrary and unlawful surveillance and/or
interception of communications, including extraterritorial surveillance
and/or interception of communications as well as the collection of personal
data, including on a mass scale, on people and institutions in other
countries, including on political leaders, senior officials and various
government departments and agencies, as well as citizens. We call for the
ending of such activities, which violate the human right to privacy of
individuals and have a negative impact on the relations between countries.
In this regard, we all call for intergovernmental entities to discuss and
review the use of information and communications technologies to ensure that
they fully comply with international law, including human rights law, in
accordance with the purpose and principles of the Charter of the United
Nations.

195.   We welcome the NETmundial Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the
Future of Internet Governance held in São Paulo, Brazil, on 23 and 24 April
2014, and take note of its outcome document.

196.   We emphasize the important opportunities provided by information and
communications technologies, including social media and related
infrastructure, as a vehicle to promote better understanding among nations
and the achievement of internationally agreed upon development objectives.

197.   We recognize at the same time that the illegal use of information and
communications technologies has a negative impact on nations and their
citizens. In this regard, we express our strong rejection of the use of
information and communications technologies in violation of international
law, including the right to privacy, and of any action of this nature
directed against any Member State, in particular a State member of the Group
of 77.

198.   We further underscore the importance of ensuring that the use of such
technologies should be fully compatible with the purposes and principles of
the Charter of the United Nations and international law, in particular the
principles of sovereignty, the non-interference in internal matters and the
internationally recognized rules of civil coexistence among States.

199.   In this regard, we take note with concern of the information
published in international media about the objectives of the so-called
“ZunZuneo” network, which would constitute an illicit use of new information
and communications technologies.

200.   We therefore reiterate our commitment to intensifying international
efforts directed at safeguarding cyberspace and promoting its exclusive use
for the achievement of peaceful purposes and as a vehicle to contribute to
both economic and social development, and highlight that international
cooperation, in full respect of human rights, is the only viable option for
fostering the positive effects of information and communications
technologies, preventing their potential negative effects, promoting their
peaceful and legitimate use and guaranteeing that both scientific and
technological progress is directed at preserving peace and promoting the
welfare and development of our societies.