[governance] for information

françoise f.massit at orange.fr
Mon Jul 28 10:15:46 EDT 2014

Dear gov at list-ers,
Please find  the link to a summary of the recent Report from the
French Senate and the  pdf doc :
http://www.senat.fr/fileadmin/Fichiers/Images/commission/MCI_nouvelle_gouvernance_de_l_internet/EUROPE_TO_THE_RESCUE_OF_THE_INTERNET_english_summary.pdf
It's an official Report, but who knows its destiny ???
Best regards,
FMF

Le 28 juil. 14 à 13:28, parminder a écrit :

> David
>
> I think that NTIA divesting itself of the IANA authority is a very
> good thing. However, withdrawal of direct executive control
> over      the root zone is hardly enough. The root zone should be
> free from all legal and legislative controls of any one country,
> including any possibility of unilateral application any such control
> in the future. This is the single most important issue with regard
> to determining where should the IANA authority now vest.
>
> The reason I consider the NTIA transition process to be a sham is
> that its framing of the IANA issue is deliberately misleading.
> It      misleadingly declares IANA 'function' to be  a merely
> clerical one. This is such an affront to the global community which
> knows very well that for the last 15 years or so the single most
> prominent geopolitical issue in global Internet governance has been
> the issue of a single country's oversight of the Internet,
> representing in its IANA authority.
>
> How can this major political issue be rendered as a clerical and
> technical issue by a simple sleigh of hand. This to me is in fact
> cheating.
>
> However, the IANA process is being able to fool only those who are
> ready or even eager to be fooled. It does not actually take away one
> of the major global IG issues from the table. We all know that IANA
> authority will now be handed over to ICANN. Yes, US leaving the
> executive control over IANA is good. However, ICANN cannot be left
> politically unsupervised. (In fact, US jurisdiction will continue to
> undertake ICANN's political/ legal oversight.) ICANN should be
> incorporated under international law, giving it full immunity from
> US jurisdiction, and be put under clear rules based oversight of an
> appropriate global body, which need not be typical inter-governmental.
>
> And, yes, people have given specific institutional models to achieve
> this. See for instance the submission of Just Net Coalition to
> NetMundial at http://content.netmundial.br/contribution/democratising-global-governance-of-the-internet/164
>  . Specifically see point 3 of the proposed institutional roadmap.
>
> regards
> parminder
>

> On Monday 28 July 2014 12:13 AM, David Conrad wrote:
>> Parminder,
>>
>> On Jul 27, 2014, at 1:36 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
>> wrote:
>>> I dont see why we should not already be seeking such a body
>> No one is stopping you (or whoever 'we' is in the above). You (or
>> whoever 'we' is in the above) just need to come up with something
>> that is at least as trusted by resolver operators of the world as
>> the current system, then convince those operators to make use of
>> that zone maintenance/signing/distribution system.
>>
>> My suspicion is that this will be a hard sell for a variety of
>> reasons, however the first step is to actually come up with a
> [...]

Françoise Massit-Folléa
f.massit at orange.fr
Mob. 06 74 51 67 65