[governance] Comments on Enhancing ICANN Accountability

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jul 23 03:47:44 EDT 2014

The report very well describes the problems with ICANN's accountability
with respect to human rights, which is basically ICANN's political
accountability. However, I dont see any clear recommendations in this
docuemnt about how to ensure such accountability. As rightly pointed
out, it cannot be done though processes like taking in public comments
or through experts based mechanisms. How then?

This is the key question in the current IANA transition/ ICANN
accountability process, these two aspects of a single issue having been
artificially, and one must say, cleverly, separated. IANA authority was
used by the US gov as *the* lever to ensure political accountability of
ICANN to itself. Suddenly, IANA task has begun to be described by the US
gov as merely a clerical one. And ICANN accountability being entirely
unrelated to it. Funny. But again there seems not much desire around to
call the bluff...

parminder