AW: [governance] RE: Blogpost: The-information-society-is-in-crisis-and-what-to-do-about-it

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Fri Jul 18 07:02:48 EDT 2014

Hi Wolfgang and Michael,

This is indeed an very important development and plausible goal, but the
idea that those parties will agree with it 'because it is good for
everybody' is not idealistic, it is naive. Here is why (quoting from
Michael's text).. Please note this is in no way critic of the Michael's
text -- I am trying to highlight the real issues for the benefit of
discussion.

"One which doesn’t restrict but rather enables the many but not allowing
the continued dominance of the few; "

The reasons for any (nation) state or a corporation to exist is to
ensure the continued dominance of the few over the many. The alternative
has always been called "anarchy" or "chaos" and presented to the many in
such a way that they should fear it. Therefore, here I do not see any
way to convince the "few" to give up any of their dominance of the
"many". In the past, such has happened for very short time during
revolution, at the end ultimately replacing one set of "few" with
another set... of few. Internet, by it's very nature threatens the
dominance of those few. If let by the many, they will try to tame it too
-- so far, what saves the Internet is it's design, which closely
resembles inter-human behavior, at the individual level.

"Freedom from Internet surveillance"

There is no such thing as Internet surveillance. Those "few" just
discovered that more and more people use this new environment called The
Internet and they set up tools to perform surveillance (and related
activities) there too. If we want to stop "the few" from doing any
surveillance in Internet, we should also stop them from doing any
surveillance elsewhere. If we are happy to be subject of surveillance
during out off-line life, why should be want any different for our
on-line life?

"from the domination of a single language"

Is it not the goal of every culture to spread their language/etc
worldwide? Is this not something every culture does with pride? Forcing
communities to refuse to (try to) spread their language/culture outside
their own circle is not going to happen... because it is these cultures
who need to decide to do it. For Internet, and computing in general
removing the reliance on ASCII has been achieved by more education and
developing the relevant tools. Users then would use the result, because
it is more convenient for them, not because they were ordered to do so
or because it was some kind of policy. We do not use ASCII on Internet
for these reasons...

"If the alternative is a fragmented Internet"

There is a reason, why there are nation state borders and why the
ordinary Chinese citizen cannot enter the Peoples Palace. Left at their
devices, those "few" will make sure the Internet is fragmented. Calling
on their common sense will not help, because they do not posses such...

Perhaps, the only way to deal with this and work towards the goal to
"not let the dominance of few continue" is to empower the individual
Internet users even more, with tools, education, support. The Internet
is uniquely different from other communication networks in that all the
intelligence resides at the end nodes. The network itself can be very
dumb. Does not matter if someone tries to do their thing by making the
network "smarter" (able to collect data, to alter data, to do more), as
long as the end nodes remain fully functional, the Internet integrity
cannot be compromised. Internet technology is constantly evolving.

I also do not see a situation, where any government would consider any
cooperation with independent private entities (that is, such that do not
provide bribing and other services). If they ever "cooperate", that ends
at the moment when they "already learned it all". Until the day they
discover "wait, but there is more" and the cycle repeats.

Sorry if I sound too cynical -- but sometimes watching these processes
can be very entertaining.. if you forget for a moment that it's not
funny at all.

Daniel