[governance] Fwd: [Members] Fwd: [Post 2015 Women's Coalition] Privatization of Global Governance: Corporate Influence at the UN

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon Jul 7 02:07:24 EDT 2014

I am glad you posted this, Parminder. I particularly draw people’s attention to

"Labeling all actors stakeholders, as if all were equal and
had the same interest, obscures the power imbalances
between various sectors and the vast differences between
their agendas. It promotes a depoliticized model of govern-
ance that negates the different interests and power struc-
tures inherent in the global economic system."

I think the time might be ripe for civil society to talk about the limits to multistakeholderism – which I still personally believe has some value in some roles. I think we need to start to define where and how it is useful and where it poses dangers like those pointed out above.

In other words – I look forward to the debate moving beyond the “multistakeholder=good, multistakeholder=bad” divide to a sensible consideration as to how and where it might be useful in internet governance.

Ian Peter