[governance] [bestbits] February 19-20 open consultation and MAG meeting

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 09:52:41 EST 2014

Hi Sala,

I think there is missing point here , it is not about north hemisphere or
vacations time but about predictability : a conference at such level cannot
have the option to change dates or not being confirmed till last minutes
(like for the last edition)
if you check IETF or ICANN meetings , you will find that the dates and
regions (not necessarily the host country or city) are planned for some
years. I don't think that any host country would try to change the dates
for another UN conference in such way. it may happen for exceptional
reasons but it is probably rare.
We need to think on how to strengthen IGF, make it predictable in term of
organisation and not being in so ad-hoc mode. that is not sustainable.
Another point, IGF is not just 4 days of workshops and pre-events but also
some process beforehand to accept proposals and approve workshops, shifting
dates have impact on planning for everybody  .

Best,

Rafik

2014-01-30 Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>