[governance] [bestbits] February 19-20 open consultation and MAG meeting

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 05:17:37 EST 2014

Hi

I just checked with Chengetai. Paul’s explanation is correct and the website will be updated.

BTW, what the IGF website doesn’t show is that the host government has expressed a desire to move the meeting forward to 19-22 August.  Sticking it during high vacation season in the Northern hemisphere would not be good for turn-out, which in turn would not be good for the UN renewal debate when the usual long knives may be out. It also would be a real problem for the preparatory process, and apparently for national/regional IGFs.  Markus has sent a letter to DESA on behalf of concerned MAG members asking that the UN reaffirm to the host its preference for the original deal.

Best

Bill

On Jan 29, 2014, at 7:58 AM, Paul Wilson <pwilson at apnic.net> wrote:

> My understanding is that there is one meeting, an open MAG meeting, which is being held on 19-20 February.
>
> The past model of an open consultation followed by a closed meeting has been dropped, giving us a single, 2-day open meeting.
>
> Of course the conduct and chairing need to be inclusive, but I hope that this new model helps to overcome perceptions that MAG members are "indifferent to their stakeholders".
>
> Paul.
>

> On 29/01/2014, at 4:32 PM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>> Could our civil society MAG members confirm the dates of the meeting.  The IGF website: 19-22 February 2014 (Wednesday to Saturday).  Is that correct?  Or are the dates  Feb 19 = open consultation.  Feb 20 = MAG meeting?
>>
>> The last few meetings have been dominated by the MAG, little consideration given to the "consultation" part.
>>
>> Discussion on te MAG list now -- see archives <http://mail.intgovforum.org/pipermail/igfmaglist_intgovforum.org/> -- suggests the same pattern.  A lot of excitement about topics that must be discussed, etc, etc.  My understanding of the purpose of these meetings is for the MAG to listen, at least for one day.  MAG is not an executive, it's there to listen to stakeholder input and reflect that in the agenda of the IGF.  And this is made harder by what is perhaps indifference of MAG members to encouraging contributions from their stakeholders, at least on the IGC and bestbits lists.  All have just been reappointed for the linkages they bring to their communities.
>>
>> The MAG now holds regular teleconferences.  Could MAG members inform us when these meetings are taking place, share the agenda and seek comments.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Adam

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

William J. Drake