[governance] Idea of an IGC/BestBits fusion (was Re: civil society co ordination group...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sun Jan 26 06:10:09 EST 2014

Dear all

I would be willing to accept BB as “IGC v2.0” if some basic democratic
structures were added. At the very least I would suggest that there
should be some kind of reasonable process of elections for the steering
committee, and that there needs to be an appeals team and a reasonable
process to appoint it.

However, at the BestBits meeting in Bali the question of adding some
kinds of more formal structures than BestBits has had so far was
briefly discussed, and the idea did not get a lot of support.

That led me to think that an “IGC v2.0” would need to be chartered
independently of BestBits.

But I like the suggestion of Carlos to create “a joint group derived
from the IGC ashes and [BestBits]”.

Let's just make sure that we don't lose what has been achieved at IGC
in terms of fundamental democratic structure.

Greetings,
Norbert