[governance] Substantive discourse processes for the Brazil MSM (was Re: Meeting ... between the LOG and 1Net)

Richard Hill rhill at hill-a.ch
Mon Jan 20 05:39:20 EST 2014

Please see embedded replies below to your four questions.

Thanks and best,
Richard

I think that ad hominem attacks, insults, etc. should not be allowed.  Anything else is welcome.

> 2. How is it decided whether proposed text fulfills the requirements
> in regard to these two dimensions?

I don't think that you need to do that.  You ask for a concrete proposal related to the draft output text, then decide whether the proposed add/del/mod should be accepted or not.

The mechanism for deciding is whatever version of "consensus" seems appopriate to the group developing the document.

That is, use the "single text" approach: there is one document, and anybody is free to propose changes to it.  The changes are discussed and agreed or not.

> 3. How to empower people to express their concerns in a way that
> conforms to the expectations in regard to political tone and
> technical precision?

Simply state the ground rules and politely remind people of them, as needed.

> 4. How to prevent the standards on political tone and technical
> precision from being abused to suppress inconvenient truths?

If you only exclude insults, ad hominem attacks, etc, there should be no problem.