[governance] RE: [discuss] Full Transparency of the Community Informatics Community

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 04:36:17 EST 2014

Hi Seun,

Thanks for paying such close attention.

With respect to your first question re: 1net and CI, I can only point you to
the following paragraph in Tom's covering letter. I do know that only a few
members of the CI community are currently closely following these
discussions and fortunately several of those were directly involved in the
NomCom process so there was likely internal communication between them
concerning 1net during the NomCom selection process itself which of course,
was not conducted on the open e-list.

Having closely followed the organization of the upcoming meeting in Brazil,
the NomCom's

members added a codicil to their report, recommending that their selectees
also be

charged with interfacing with the 1Net, an entity assisting with organizing
the April 23-23

Meeting.

With respect to your second question, a very significant proportion of CI
community members are from LDC's, including some of the most active. With
respect to the NomCom process, there were candidates from all continents
(except Europe) including Laban Bagui, a Cameroonian currently living in
South Africa (his bio is included in Tom's) report. While he was
unsuccessful in the process Cristian Berrio Zapata, a Columbian currently
living in Brazil was a nominee.  Charles Dhewa from Harare, Zimbabwe
volunteered for and was randomly selected to be on the Nominating committee
itself. (As an aside, could I call your attention to the just released
special issue of the Journal of Community Informatics on Community
Informatics in Southern Africa
<http://ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej/issue/current> .

Best,

Mike