[governance] FW: [IP] Cory Doctorow: The Full Orwell

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 06:28:17 EST 2014

Does anyone know about the actual status with HTML5 in relation to the DRM
issue? A while ago I saw inputs/comments/analyses of the issues by a number
of organizations (eg, EFF, etc... if my memory is correct.) Have some of
these been taking into account? Has anything improved since in terms of the
"next generation" browser design?

This can be such a burden on the user! Not to mention the limitations to
autonomy and privacy. A little more than a decade ago, I had a laptop and a
CD-Rom both purchased in Paris. Then while in Maputo, I couldn't use the CD
(which, mind you, was not even for entertainment but clearly something
related to work) when I was randomly prompted to enter some code which I
didn't have because it was only inside the CD box/ outer jacket left back
in Paris. From my recollection, the problem was at least in part prompted
by the fact that I was trying to access my materials from a country that
was not listed among the geographic areas for which the standards for the
CD/DVD reader were designed (although it could technically work, since both
laptop and CD are the same whether used in France or in Mozambique or
anywhere else for that matter... Because of my geolocation data at the
time, I was just being suspected with an attempt to usurp intellectual
property.) Some of those practices felt/feel like we are supposed to live,
work and die in only one place, presumably the one where we once were born,
while in same time we've been celebrating the ability of the internet to
extend our boundaries of self and to augment our reality in a global and
ubiquitous way.

While I realize the experience above did not involve any browser per se,
data was still being transmitted over the Internet for DRM purposes.
Have we been smarter handling this since then? Is the way DRM issues are
being handled with this HTML5 proving any more smarter?

Mawaki