[governance] Elephants in the Room was Re: ] Nomination

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Jan 9 10:53:04 EST 2014

On 09-Jan-14 08:53, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> The IGC Charter does not contain any provision that states that if
> someone “yells” at an IGC meeting, and someone else feels threatened,
> the person who has yelled must thereupon be “ejected from the caucus”.
>
> I'm pretty sure that if the IGC coordinators had invented such a rule
> would have been appealed successfully.

To be clear, I don't believe I requested that anyone be kicked out of
the IGC.  I believe I asked the co-cordinators to do something.  I would
have been satisfied at that point with a note about inappropriate
behavior.  I never expected an apology.

As far as the comparative accounts go, and peoples' judgements of me,
all I can say is that there is a world of difference between 'pointing a
finger' and 'having a finger in your face'.  And 'freaking' is a word
often used to avoid unacceptable language.

At this point, I have long since given up on this issue ever being
handled properly.  I accept my punishment for speaking out against the
attack and what I have seen as a long history of bullying that never got
coordinator action - only those who are bullied are ever criticized;
they always bring it on themselves by what the say and beleive.  Who
knew that would be the prevailing IGC logic.

I will continue to lurk on the IGC list, but for the most part don't
plan to participate in discussions until it changes its tenor. I will,
however, continue reporting on anything worth reporting when there is
something worth reporting that I know something about.  I also plan to
remain a member of the caucus.

avri