[governance] Re: [discuss] [bestbits] Fwd: Heads up on Brazil meeting preparation

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jan 8 15:21:38 EST 2014

On Jan 8, 2014, at 11:50 AM, Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal <jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net<mailto:jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net>> wrote:

ICANN/IANA are. And therefore everything that comes under ICANN's patronage and funding (1net...) has an obvious link to DoT. That makes quite a grouping. It would be naive not to put the I* under the same umbrella. IETF has a NSA employee at his board.

Wow.  I am actually not even sure how to respond to the above given the layers
of error but obviously must start somewhere -

ICANN does have a NTIA contract to perform "IANA Functions.", which includes
the administration of various registries of parameter values for Internet protocols.

ICANN also has an MOU with the IAB/IETF (RFC 2860) to carry out certain
tasks, consisting of the administration of various registries of parameter values
for Internet protocols.

That is actually two mandates; both are specifically applicable to the IANA tasks.

The IANA tasks are a very small part of ICANN, and trying to point to the IANA
contract as a USG "link" to ICANN's greater overall activities make no sense.
Yes, there is a Affirmation of Commitments that has effect on ICANN's activities,
and a GAC that has impact, but the IANA contract itself doesn't provide useful
control (except under the "nuclear" option of its cancelation)

The I* leader coordination meetings have no mandate, patronage, or funding from
the USG.  In fact, they've been convened generally by Lynn St. Amour of ISOC, with
each participant picking up travel and related costs.  You might as well assert that
both IGF and UN also come under the USG's patronage as a result of ICANN's
contribution...

And finally, none of the above relates to "1net", which may have be consequential
to the Montevideo Statement, but in fact will determine its purpose and methods
once it has a seated coordinating/steering committee.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO