Fw: [governance] Call for Nominations - Brazil committees

shaila mistry shailam at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 7 19:04:06 EST 2014

+1 for Adam

Shaila Rao Mistry

President
StemInstitute
Transforming Ideas into Action

President
JAYCOMMI
Input Technology With A Human Touch

www.jaycopanels.com
Tel: 951 738 2000

MWOSB

The journey begins sooner than you anticipate !
..................... the renaissance of composure !

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:58 AM, Qusai AlShatti <qshatti at gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Ian:
I would like to put my name forward for Committee No. 1:  Multistakeholder High­Level Committee (HLC). I believe that the experience I have gained as a MAG member for the global IGF as well as participating in many activities within the IGF itself allows me to contribute constructively to the work of Multistakeholder High­Level Committee. Furthermore, the efforts I was involved in to initiate and launch the Arab IGF is similar to a great extent to the nature of this committee and although it was on a regional level it can be extended to global level.

I believe that the role of civil society for this particular conference should not be limited to state its views and reflect its positions but also to to ensure that every stakeholder's views and interest is included in a balanced manner with a focus on what is best for the Internet user.

Furthermore, I support Adam's nomination for the Executive Committee.

Best Regards,

Qusai AlShatti
Kuwait Information Technology Society

On Friday, January 3, 2014, Ian Peter  wrote:

Just a reminder re this – nominations close midnight UTC January 7.
> [...]
committees
>  This is a call for nominations to represent civil society on planning
committees in preparations for the “Global Multistakeholder Meeting on Internet
Governance”, to be held in Sao Paulo Brazil on April 23 and 24 2014.

>• Committee No. 1:  Multistakeholder High­Level Committee (HLC)
>
>This committee will set the high ­level political tone and
objectives of the
>conference.  Committee
members will engage on a global level with stakeholders to
>encourage participation in the conference and maximize its chances
of success.

>This committee will include 4 civil society
representatives.

>• Committee No. 3:  Multistakeholder Executive Committee
(EC)

>This committee owns the full responsibility of organizing the
event, including: defining
>conference purpose/agenda, managing invitations, organizing input
received into a coherent set of proposals for the conferees to address, managing
conference proceedings and process, and directing all communications activities
pre/­during/­post conference.  This committee will include 2 civil society
representatives

>The deadline for submitting expressions of interest is midnight UTC 7January 2014.
>
>If you are interested, you are invited to send a brief biography
and a statement of relevant background and experience in response to this topic,
or if you would prefer, you can send it to ian.peter at ianpeter.com (pending the
appointment of a replacement IGC  representative on the co-ordination
group). At the closing date for nominations, nominations submitted to various
civil society networks will be compiled and assessed by the Civil Society Co
ordination Group.

>Please indicate clearly at the beginning of your application
whether it is for the High Level Committee (HLC) or Executive Committee (EC) or
both.

>CRITERIA
>
>The following factors (among others) will be used to assess the
suitability of candidates

>1.      Able to represent civil society as a whole, not just your
individual civil society organisation(s)
>2.      Able to work collegiately with other stakeholder groups in a
multistakeholder setting
>3.      Able to consult widely with civil society groups and to report back
as the process progresses
>4.      Ability to represent civil society at a senior level in these
discussions
>5.      Broad knowledge of internet governance issues and the range of
civil society perspectives on these issues
>6.      Capacity to participate assertively and
creatively

>Explanation of process
>
>The civil society coordinating group is a loose peak body that came
together this year to facilitate joint civil society participation in several
nominating processes.  It currently comprises persons from the most active
civil society coalitions or networks in the Internet governance space, which in
no particular order are the Internet Governance Caucus, Diplo Foundation, Best
Bits, the Non Commercial Stakeholder Group of ICANN, and the Association for
Progressive Communications.  The current liaisons are Virginia Paque,
Jeremy Malcolm, Robin Gross and Chat Garcia Ramilo, with Ian Peter as an
independent facilitator.  Its current composition is imperfect - the
boundary between an organisation and n

    governance at lists.igcaucus.org