[governance] NETmundial 2014 - Invitation to HLMC meeting in Barcelona.

Louis Pouzin (well) pouzin at well.com
Fri Feb 28 09:04:17 EST 2014

*Report on the 1st meeting of the High Level Multistakeholder Committee
(HLMC) of "NETmundial" *. . .

. . . (www.netmundial.org), the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the
Future of Internet Governance that will take place in São Paulo, Brazil on
April 23-24, 2014.

Report written by Louis Pouzin, civil society member of the HLMC.
- - -

I was invited by the HLMC chairman, Paulo Bernardo Silva, Minister of
Communications of Brazil [1]. I flew from Paris to attend this meeting.

The attendance list (courtesy Daniel Fink) is in [2].
A man was sitting behind a name tag "Turkey".

The audio system was not working, and the air conditioning was quite noisy.
Then it was uneasy to follow conversations from the other end of the table.

Stephanie Perrin's report gives an excellent perception of the overall
content. Actually, besides usual generalities on the São Paulo Mundial, the
presentation of the organizational structure and deadlines for
contributions were simply confirmations of already published information.

One may notice that there was no development on a roadmap, even though it
had been mentioned as an objective of the present meeting.

At some point Tarek Kamel (ICANN) used the term "mondialisation" instead of
"globalization".

Daniel Sepulveda's (USA) declaration was likely a reading of the text from
http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/prsrl/2014/221946.htm. His speech seemed to
me a bit shorter than the text, but I could recognize some statements.

As the meeting seemed approaching a conclusion I made an intervention
summarized as follows.

Principles for a future internet governance are debated in many groups of
the civil society. Even though wordings may differ the substance is
definitely converging towards a set of a dozen (more or less) principles.
For brevity I will mention a sample of the ones being presently drafted for
Net Mundial.

1- On-line users must enjoy the same human rights as they do off-line.

2- There must not be discrimination in access and contents due to criteria
such as opinion, religion, race, gender, geography, language, or economic
resources.

3- Services offered in the internet must remain equitable and neutral among
service providers, without taking unfair advantage of a dominant or
privileged position.

4- Internet availability, deployment, and service conditions must benefit
all segments of the human society, not just those enjoying richer economic
development.

5- A special effort must be engaged in order to provide the Less Developed
Countries with an equitable share of resources to participate in activities
related to worldwide internet governance.

  Louis

Attachments.

[1] invitation
[2] attendance list