[governance] NETmundial 2014 - Invitation to HLMC meeting in Barcelona.

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 26 12:14:39 EST 2014

Dear all,
I was not in the room, but on the phone and conference bridge, and I can update you from my notes.  I am sure that Louis will have a better report, but in the meantime:
Agenda:

1. Welcome message and Introduction of Participants (5 min)

2. Initial remarks (15 min)
     - H.E. Neelie Kroes - Vice President of European Commission for the Digital Agenda
     - D. Víctor Calvo-Sotelo - Secretary of State for Telecommunications and Information Society of Spain (Special Invitee)
     - Minister Paulo Bernardo - Minister of Communications of Brazil

3. Briefing and Introduction of the NETmundial structure and workflow (Secretary Virgílio Almeida) (10 min)
    a. Background
    b. Objectives and expected outcomes
    c. Committees and interactions among them
    d. Content contribution process
    e. Synthesis paper and document drafting
    f.  Important dates
    g. HLMC roles and Agenda

4. Open Floor & Discussion  (40 min)

5. Summary and Closing Remarks (20 min)

1. There was a slight delay in the start of the meeting.  The Minister outlined his brief from the President of Brazil, to do the conference in a multistakeholder way.  He stressed that they needed to come up with principles accepted by the stakeholders, and a roadmap for how to get there.  Our role, as the high-level multi-stakeholder committee, would be to set the political tone and foster the involvement of international parties.   He went over the structure and representatives for each committee (slides were promised and I will forward once I receive them).
The goal is to have a  reference document by mid-march
There will be seven languages, the UN languages plus Portugese.  During the actual meeting in April, the HLMC and the Chairs of Netmundial will seek approval for meeting outputs.
There was further encouragement to all groups to submit both expressions of interest, to attend, and content submissions.  Submissions will be accepted until March 8, expression of interest only until February 28 (I think this is accurate).
Fifteen cities around the world will be connected to the conference [I guess through live streaming] [my apologies if I have mis-named the persons speaking, the audio was not always clear and some were speaking through an interpreter, I focused on the speech and not the speaker]
2.  Neelie Kroes spoke next, she said she did not want another talk show, she expected Sao Paulo to deliver an agreement and a clear roadmap, with concrete actionable milestones. She mentioned the recently released EU statement on Internet policy and governance, saying she knew it would be hard, but we have to deliver a very clear political statement.  She tressed the need to globalize the IANA function, and ensure full respect for human rights.
The next speaker was Dirk Brengelmann,  who stressed not trying to be too political, focus on laying out the markers for the way forward. (had to leave for another meeting)
Representative of the government of South Africa spoke, stressing that they had not heard as a government what was going on yet.  The business person named from South Africa could not speak for the government.
Tawfik Jelassi from the Tunisian Ministry agreed we did not need another talk show, need concrete actions and true multi-stakeholder approach.[various others made short statements, but had to rush for their planes.]
Louis Pouzin made an intervention but the audio was not clear so I did not catch it, I will let him speak for himself.
The meeting ended rather abruptly, I did not hear an announcement of when the next meeting would be, and have not heard yet from the secretariat.  I will seek that information now, but as you can see, there are many blanks in this report, my apologies for not being there in person but it was short notice and far away from Canada.

Stephanie Perrin