[governance] The greatest threat in the world today to peace....

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Feb 10 13:06:53 EST 2014

Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at gmail.com> wrote:

> > There is a tendency on this list for people who express certain
> > kinds of viewpoints to get shouted down. "Off-topic" is one of the
> > complaints that can be used for that purpose. This kind of social
> > process is part of what has created such an often-hostile
> > environment on this list that many people are very reluctant or
> > even afraid of posting anything on this list. I say this on the
> > basis of having tried, during the Bali IGF, to speak in person with
> > as many as I could of the IGC's “silent majority”.
>
> > The IGC charter puts enforcing the posting rules firmly and squarely
> > into the hands of the elected coordinators, and when some other
> > members of the list try to take things into their own hands by
> > posting complaints about certain postings being off-topic, that
> > kind of action is IMO itself a clear violation of the posting
> > rules. (On the other hand, I'd say that discussing the posting
> > rules, their interpretation, or proposals to change them, is within
> > the range of allowed topics for this list... although not
> > necessarily a very fruitful activity.)
>
> but you are not coordinator anymore to make any decision, you are now
> among other mortals like us :). Ironically  are not you describing
> above what you are doing exactly here and "taking things in your own
> hands"?

I saw myself as participating in a discussion on the interpretation of
the posting rules, and not as complaining about any specific postings. A
fine line to be sure, and it may not matter in your eyes, and I don't
know whether it matters in the eyes of the current coordinators. (I had
refrained from responding to any of the postings that I saw as
inappropriate, but replied when Avri posted that in her view, the IGC
does not have established criteria regarding what is on-topic or not.)

Greetings,
Norbert