[governance] RE: [bestbits] substantive proposals for Brazil summit - IG

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 00:11:40 EST 2014

Good question Anne and let me give a somewhat lengthy reply to cover your
question and several of the others

My starting proposition is that “we” (let’s for the moment accept that “we”
here are a stand-in for a broad-based and inclusive civil society
representation) insist on, as a minimum measure, full transparency and
accountability of all “multistakeholder” processes in the Internet
Governance sphere and in the absence of this full transparency and
accountability it is assumed that the MS process in question is illegitimate
and to be rejected out of hand with the burden of demonstrating transparency
and accountability being on the advocates/proponents of that MS process.

By insisting on this as a minimum we are at least providing the basis for a
scrutiny/challenge of the possibility of capture and while most certainly
not foreclosing on the possibility of capture/subversion some tools for
making an effective challenge/sunlighting  of these potentials for
capture/subversion would at least be available.

Someone asked for a practical/detailed example
 (I worked as an auditor for
several years (for the UN and the Canadian Government so forgive me for
putting the below in somewhat of an audit format

Let’s take 1Net as a MS space/process for an example
.

1.       Where did 1Net come from?  Did it arise spontaneously one day from
Adiel’s brow or was there background discussion, review, confirmation? If so
who was involved in those discussions? Is there a trail of any sort linking
1Net to earlier discussions, authorizations, decision making processes.
(Here one wouldn’t necessarily expect a formal process but an indication of
the informal process and who was involved in that process would provide
something of an “audit trail”.)

2.       When 1Net selected certain groupings to act as its surrogate in
identifying candidates for various positions including it’s Steering
Committee who determined which organizations were selected, what criteria
were used, what other organizations were selected and discarded and again
what criteria were used for discarding these?  Who were parties to these
decisions and on what basis were these parties selected to be involved in
these decisions?  What formal processes for doing this authorization were
followed. Is the documentation concerning this part of the public record? If
not why not? (Again there might not necessarily be a formal process but
again “transparency” and “accountability” would require some form of
response to these questions.

3.       Concerning the “Summaries” of the discussions presented by 1Net.
Who prepared these summaries? Who paid for these summaries to be prepared?
Who developed the terms of reference guiding these summaries? If contracts
were involved who authorized the contracts and under what budgetary
authority? Who supervised the work of preparing this Summary? Who signed off
on the Summary before it was distributed? Under what authority were those
who did the sign-off operating? (Note that the response by Adiel to the
first of these questions which was to side-step and stonewall i.e. to give
no response, would to me as an auditor begin fiercely ringing bells and I
would then begin to look for whatever leverage I had to insist on an answer.
(In this instance there was an expenditure of resources, certainly time but
very likely money so some documentation should be available and if not that
is a red flag in itself.

4.       Concerning the creation of the “forums” website and overall
conceptual and web based formats and architecture. .  Who prepared this
format and designed and developed the web site? Who paid for this to be
designed and developed? Who developed the terms of reference guiding this
design? If contracts were involved who authorized the contracts and under
what budgetary authority? Who supervised the work of preparing this site?
Who signed off on the site before it was made public? Under what authority
were those who did the sign-off operating?

(Note that the audit process is one that uses (imposed if necessary)
transparency to ensure accountability.  Without making any suggestion
concerning the nature of the 1Net processes or their background and funding
the questions that I’ve posed above are rather basic ones that any auditor
for a public authority would ask in this context.)

So why does this matter?

Given the potential current and long term significance of the processes with
which these activities and 1Net are engaged achieving this minimum level of
transparency is surely necessary and warranted.  And before anyone suggests
that these matters/activities are trivial and that what is important is the
outcomes I would simply point in the direction of this

The way in which we frame an issue largely determines how that issue will be
understood and acted upon (Dr. Birjana Scott as quoted on the Diplo website
<http://www.diplomacy.edu/resources/general/framing-argument> )

and the very extensive documentation of this process of controlling an
argument (or discussion) by controlling the framing of that argument
<http://www.csun.edu/~rk33883/Framing%20Theory%20Lecture%20Ubertopic.htm>
by Prof. George Lakoff and others.

1Net has been in the business of “framing” the Internet Governance
discussion at each point in the process—its arrival on the scene and its
interposing itself as the space for multistakeholder discussion in the
Internet Governance area, its selection of who it will allow into the
discussion and who will be excluded, its provision of a “summary” of the
discussion, and of course its “framing” of the discussion through the
establishment of a set of pre-structured forums.

This process of “framing” of the Internet Governance discussion by 1Net and
whoever is paying for/directing 1Net’s activities has been done with no
oversight, no transparency and no accountability but is now taken as the
accepted practice for civil society (and other?) participation in the Brazil
meeting (and beyond?).

I’m not at this stage attributing any motives to this “framing” process
 We
don’t have enough information to attribute motives or intentions but what we
have in front of us is I believe sufficient to insist on a full accounting
and full transparency at which time a judgment could be made.

I see no reason why the information requested above could not and should not
be made more or less immediately available?  If these are “public” processes
operating in the “public interest” as is being indicated, then they should
be expected to be as accountable and transparent as any other public
processes.

In the audit biz it is only when information is not made available that the
red flags start going up and the suspicions are aroused.

Mike