[governance] Re: IGC Consultation [MAG] CALL FOR COMMENTS AND CONTRIBUTIONS

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 23:15:08 EST 2014

Dear All,

My contributions in my personal capacity are as follows:

My personal views are that the IGC is a great place to allow for the frank
discussion of current challenges that will help better inform the global
community to allow for progressive dialogue and response where there is an
increased move to shared responsibility.

Here are some things I would like to see addressed in the IGF 2014.

On the selection of civil society representatives at the IGF, I believe
that there should be an open process within the global civil society
community where they make their selection of those who will speak on their
behalf at the IGF. There should be clear communication from civil society
MAG members so there is no perception of hijacking as there were several
things that the community wanted to raise.

   1. Developing High Level Principles to address situations where there is
   a Conflict between National Security and Global Public Interest . Lessons
   for diverse stakeholders and developing shared responsibility.
   2. Ethics of Surveillance by Corporates and Governments
   3. Threats and challenges to global public interest. Sharing End User
   Perspectives. Using specific and select scenarios within current technical
   and policy making forums to point to these situations and to develop
   dialogue and discussions on how we can address this as a community.
   4. Traditional Cultural Expressions and Intellectual Property challenges
   in the gTLD world. Identifying the conflicts and engaging in dialogue to
   discuss potential solutions.
   5. Cyber Crime: Law Enforcement and Whois
   6. What developing countries need to look out for as they prepare for
   IPv6 Transition
   7. Debate on the importance of a single unified root versus multiple
   roots. The advantages, strengths and challenges.
   8. Challenges affecting ISPs and Network Operators in Developing
   Countries and impact on Internet Proliferation, DNSSEC penetration rate,
   root server spread etc;
   9. MS Selection Processes: Towards Accountability and Transparency
   Version 2
   10. IDNs and multilingualism
   11. Growing Local Content - Lessons from the top 5 ranked IDI countries

I would also like to see global civil society work together to develop a
framework in bottom up transparent mechanism for civil society selection
into various key Internet Governance Foras.

Kind Regards,
Sala